(updated February 2016)
Term: Two years with one possible renewal of two years
Election: By Committee members
As a member of Science Atlantic
- Support the mission of Science Atlantic.
- Represent the Committee to the Board, Institutional Representatives and other Committee Chairs, including presenting special project proposals.
- Participate in discussion and activities that support the mission of the organization.
- Prepare a report of the Committee’s activities for annual general meeting (November).
- Participate in the annual meeting of the Committee Chairs (November).
- Participate in periodic virtual meetings as business related to committees arises (2-4 per year).
For the Committee
- Convene a meeting at least once (preferably twice) a year. This may be by teleconference or virtual meeting.
- Prepare and distribute the agenda in a reasonable time prior to the meetings and ensure that the minutes of the previous meeting are made available to Committee members in advance.
- Lead participation in the Committee’s Virtual Commons group (reminding people to post documents to the Committee’s archive, encouraging discussions by group email, etc.).
- Work with the office staff to maintain the Committee’s membership and website.
- Ensure other positions on the Committee are filled and that the office is informed of changes. These may include: Vice-Chair, Secretary, Treasurer, Conference Organizer, Speaker Tour Coordinator, Programming Competition Coordinator, etc.
- Be aware of and ensure that the Committee adheres to the policies of Science Atlantic.
- Share information from the organization with Committee members.
- Interact with other Committee Chairs to share best practices and ideas.
For Conferences and Conference Organizers
- Be familiar with and share Science Atlantic policies as they relate to conference delivery.
- Be familiar with and share the Conference-in-a-Box planning guide (CIAB).
- Oversee the choice of venues for future conferences.
- Ensure there is a Conference Chair from the faculty and/or a faculty advisor for the student organizing committee as soon as the following year’s location is confirmed.
- Ensure that a primary contact (usually the Conference Chair or faculty advisor) is appointed from the organizing team for interacting with your Committee, the Science Atlantic office, and student groups.
- Check in periodically with the organizers to see if they have any questions or needs.
- Six months before the conference, remind organizers to submit a progress report and draft budget (templates in CIAB) to you and the Science Atlantic office, and address any concerns.
- Ensure that award winner information is provided to the Science Atlantic office immediately after the conference so that announcements can be made and awards can be sent quickly.
- Ensure that the conference organizers follow up with a final report and financial statement one to three months after the conference (templates in CIAB).