General Graduate Research Award
These awards are presented to graduate students who have demonstrated outstanding research and presentation skills. The research must significantly advance the discipline of food science or nutrition. The contribution may be applied or fundamental in nature, and must advance science or improve human condition. The awards consist of a cash prize and a letter of commendation. Both oral and poster presentations are eligible. Both oral and poster presentations are eligible.
• Abstract (statement of problem, objective, and principal findings)
• Presentation (clarity, visual aids, and organization)
• Scientific merit (experimental design, innovative approach, and interpretation of the data)
• Overall knowledge and response to questions
• Demonstrate potential to pursue graduate studies and research
Clara Jefferson Award
Clara Jefferson was a student within the School of Home Economics at Acadia University (’48). In 2010, Mrs. Clara Jefferson, a longtime Acadia supporter, received a Doctor of Civil Laws. In 2018, Mrs. Jefferson donated her historic cookbook collection to the Acadia University Archives, and it will benefit students for years to come.
This award will be presented to an undergraduate research student who significantly advances the discipline of food science and nutrition. The award consists of a $300 prize and a letter of commendation.
• Presentation (clarity, visual aids and organization)
• Scientific merit (experimental design, innovative approach, and interpretation of the results)
• Overall knowledge and response to question
Two travel awards ($500) are available for trainees registered for the Science Atlantic Nutrition Conference.
In order to be eligible for a travel award, applicants should be a full-time undergraduate or graduate student from one of the institutions participating in Science Atlantic Nutrition Conference. Applicants must have submitted an abstract. Late applications will not be considered.
Eligible expenses include travel and accommodation. Travel expenses can be claimed for gas mileage $0.37 per km or bus, train, ferry or airfare (economy class) or their combination. The accommodation cost cannot exceed the rate of $114 per night (plus tax). The cost of taxi, tolls, bridges are eligible as well. The reimbursed cost of travel cannot exceed the travel award.
The application for travel award must include the following components:
1. A two-page CV/ resume
2. The abstract
3. Reference letter from supervisor or faculty from sponsoring institution
4. 500 word cover letter explaining why attending the conference is important to you