Thank you for being a Science Atlantic Committee Chair!
Science Atlantic is a registered charitable association with a mission to advance post-secondary science education and research in Atlantic Canada by providing opportunities that foster and enrich students, supporting and inspiring researchers and educators, and using our collective voice to address important regional science issues.
Founded over 50 years ago, Science Atlantic currently represents 17 post-secondary and research institutes, with a governing Board, a dozen committees, and the involvement of approximately 200 faculty, scientists, and administrators from across the region. Each institution has a representative on each relevant committee, and is represented officially by your Dean or equivalent.
June 2016 Orientation Topics
- Science Atlantic Overview
- Financial position
- Committee Activities
- Speaker Tours
- Women in Science Speaker Tour
- Special projects
- Committee Chair Responsibilities
- Science Atlantic Resources and Activities
- Virtual Commons
- Hall of Fame and service pins
- Annual Report and Awards Yearbook
- Newsletter (The Minute), Student News, Twitter, Facebook
- November Meeting Topics
- Questions, discussion
As a Committee Chair, your primary responsibilities are to (click to see full job description):
- Support the mission of Science Atlantic
- Encourage active participation of your committee members
- Be aware of Science Atlantic policies
- Support your conference organizer (and tour coordinator if applicable)
- Represent your committee to the Board, Institutional Representatives and other Committee Chairs (by participating in virtual meetings and attending the November annual meeting in person)
- Website (Committee webpages)
- Atlantic Facilities and Research Equipment Database (AFRED)
- Conference-in-a-Box (contact firstname.lastname@example.org for login)
- Virtual Commons (FAQ and Troubleshooting)
- Institutional Rep’s Meeting: Once a year, each institution hosts a meeting for its Science Atlantic members. Ask your Dean for details.
- The Science Atlantic Minute: If you have topic suggestions, please contact Jasmine Golf.
- Student News (signup)
- Annual Report
- Awards Yearbook
- 2016-17 budget and draft 2015-16 actuals
- Members’ Handbook (draft)
- Twitter (@scienceatlantic)
- Science Atlantic staff: Each staff person is listed on the contact page by area of responsibility